Child Custody Agreement In Virginia

The alternative to a child custody agreement would be to let the court make all decisions about custody and access. Parental guidelines set out requirements for child-raising, discipline and related topics. You can be as specific as you like, on topics that are important to your family: children`s religious participation, social media use, conduct, etc. Many parents also have rules about how their romantic partners can interact with children. Virginia Guard attorneys answer frequently asked questions about the Virginia Guard and the Virginia Guard. The judge may not be the only public servant you are dealing with in your custody and access case. First, in your case, the judge may order « home studies » where a social worker is sent to the parents in dispute. The social worker evaluates each home, speaks to each parent (and sometimes the child) and reports to the judge. Second, the judge may appoint an ad litem guardian, a lawyer to represent the best interests of the child. The guardian ad litem will address each parent and the child and make a recommendation to the judge regarding custody and access. For more information, see The Purpose of the Guardian ad Litem in Virginia.

Yes. Under Virginia law, « persons with a legitimate interest » can request custody and access. These include grandparents, in-laws, former in-laws, blood relatives and family members. If the children are traveling alone to see the other parent, set parameters as well. Medical precautions will help you manage your children`s health and dental care. You can indicate which parent should make an appointment with the children or provide guidelines for children with special needs. (Your child assistance order defines how you share health insurance premiums.) If the parents are unable to reach an agreement, one of them may apply to the district court to decide on custody and visitation in the context of a divorce application. Alternatively, any parent can file applications for custody and access at the J&DR. D court.

In all cases of custody or visitation of minor children, whether before a district or district court, the court may order an independent psychological or psychological assessment to assist the court in establishing the best interests of the child. The Tribunal may make such order as it considers appropriate for the payment by the parties of the costs of the assessment. Sole custody is if a parent is responsible for the child. Shared custody is when both parents share the parental obligations of custody of the child. It is also important to understand that the non-guardian parent`s failure to pay court-ordered child support does not legally justify the denial of access by the custodial parent. The opposite is true: refusal of visits does not justify non-payment of family allowances. Parties in conflict of detention or visit often find themselves in two separate States. In almost all cases of intergovernmental custody, the uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) will determine which state is responsible for deciding on custody or access issues between the parties.

The UCCJEA determines which state is responsible for both an initial disposition of custody and an amendment to a pre-custody order. . . .